Cleaning and Maintenance
Proper vacuuming is the easiest and most effective way to keep your carpet clean and remember these few easy tips:
- Always vacuum slowly, quick vacuuming does not get the dirt out.
- When vacuuming your carpets, don’t overlook those corners and behind furniture where dust builds.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture first and then vacuum.
- Remember to always replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half full.
How Often Should You Vacuum?
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a quality vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum. The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
Get on a Cleaning Schedule
If carpet is cleaned before it becomes too unsightly, the cleaning chore will be easier and more successful. Carpet in a typical household should be cleaned every 18 months, depending on the number of residents and amount of activity.
Choosing the proper cleaning system is important. Some systems may leave residues which accelerate re-soiling and defeats the whole purpose of cleaning.
Carpet warranties require that the homeowner be able to show proof of periodic cleaning by hot water extraction (commonly called "steam" cleaning) by a professional cleaning service.
Preventive Maintenance: Luxury Vinyl Tile
- Always protect Luxury Vinyl Tile floors when moving heavy objects to prevent permanent scratches and tears. Use heavy cardboard to protective you’re Luxury Vinyl Tile floor.
- Use floor protectors under tables, chairs, and any other heavy home furnishing to avoid scratching.
- Mats should be used to absorb soil and moisture at doorways. If mats are placed directly on top of Luxury Vinyl Tile, use mats without latex or rubber backings to avoid possible discoloration.
- Daily removal of dirt and dust is important to prevent scratching the surface of Luxury Vinyl Tile floors. Sweeping, dust mopping, and vacuuming are recommended to remove soil particles that can result in scratches. Do not use vacuums with rotating beater bars, this could scratch your luxury Vinyl Tile.
- Periodic wet cleaning will be necessary to help maintain the floor’s appearance. Always vacuum or dust mop before any type of wet cleaning. Appropriate Luxury Vinyl Tile floor cleaning is recommended. Do not use abrasive cleaners that leave dull residues on the surface of the floors. Follow the cleaning manufacturer’s instructions for damp mopping. If rinsing is necessary, use clean water and dry quickly with air movers or fans.
Spot and Spill Removal:
- Absorb wet spills as quickly as possible by dabbing with paper or cloth towels. Rinse with water if necessary and pat dry.
- Dried spots should be removed by gentle rubbing and rinsed with water. Pat dry.
- Use cleaning products for Luxury Vinyl Tile floors. Do not use detergents or abrasive cleaners they will leave a dull residue.
- Use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) with a clean cloth for spots requiring a solvent cleaner that water and cleaning Luxury Vinyl cleaning products cannot remove.